The Board of Governors of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, today approved a recommendation from President Richard L. McCormick and the Board’s Committee on Executive Compensation and Nominations to change the title of the chief academic and administrative officers on the Newark and Camden campuses from “Provost” to “Chancellor.”
Periodically, the president of Rutgers evaluates the positions and job titles of university officers and recommends changes when appropriate.
A recent review of the administrative job title and responsibilities of these positions indicated that they have a broader role in university administration than is implied by the title “provost.” The title “chancellor” more accurately reflects the duties and responsibilities of these positions on the Newark and Camden campuses. The chief academic and administrative officers in Camden and Newark are responsible for:
• maintaining and advancing the national stature of the campus and its faculty
• ensuring the needs of undergraduate, graduate and professional students are met effectively
• overseeing campus housing and student life
• encouraging the development of strong research programs
• managing campus safety and security
• working with academic deans to recruit and develop outstanding faculty
• serving as a member of the president’s cabinet and a contributor to the university’s leadership team to advance each campus and the entire university
• manage the campus budget
• oversight of capital planning and construction and operation of the physical plant
• forging partnerships with public and private institutions and spearheading efforts to improve the quality of life in the region
• fundraising for campus programs and facilities.
A recent survey of higher education institutions with multiple campuses found that the majority of them designated their campus heads as “chancellors” who report directly to the president. Those institutions include:
• the University of California system
• the University of North Carolina
• the University of Michigan
• Penn State University
Effective immediately, the position of Provost-Newark becomes Chancellor-Newark and the position of Provost-Camden becomes Chancellor-Camden.
Both positions shall continue to report to the university president. There will be no change in compensation for either position.
Media Contact: E.J. Miranda
732-932-7084 ext. 613