Focus accepts articles that are of broad interest to faculty, staff, and retirees from Rutgers units. We cannot feature information from outside the organization unless there is a clear affiliation with a university unit or program. Many of our articles are written by Focus staff members or public relations specialists from Rutgers' Office of Media Relations.
We are interested in the following types of stories:
- Profiles of interesting people - faculty, staff, or students - or programs on the university's three campuses
- News articles about program changes, new offerings, policy updates
- Research articles featuring findings of Rutgers faculty or staff members
- New books by faculty and staff (2008-2009 publication dates)
- News briefs and other short items of interest, including grants, appointments, and other updates
- Awards and honors for individuals and departments
- Events: Organizations, departments, colleges, schools, and affiliate groups from Rutgers may submit event announcements for promotional consideration in Focus. The Focus event page also provides a link to the Rutgers Events Calendar to which university affiliated units can submit information.
- FOCUS also accepts submissions of first-person essays. Running between 500 and more than 1,000 words, these essays should be related in some way to the writer’s experience at or with Rutgers. Writers are encouraged to contact an editor to discuss an idea before submitting a completed manuscript. The following are examples of past FOCUS essays:
Confessions of a Rutgers e-Bay addict
What I learned on the New Faculty Traveling Seminar